Do you know that the air inside our homes can sometimes be miserable for our health? Especially in Charleston, SC where the weather is quite humid, it’s crucial to ensure the air we breathe is clean and safe. In this article, we’ll discuss some of the common air pollutants found in Charleston homes and offices and share simple tips on how to deal with them.
- Pesky Dust and Allergies: Dust mites, pet fur, and pollen present in the air can cause you troubles like sneezing and a runny nose. A quick wipe-down, vacuuming with special filters, and washing your bed sheets and door mats in hot water can help in such situations. Also, installing air purifiers can grab tiny particles and make the air better.
- Mold and Mildew: You know that wet and humid weather conditions promote the growth of mold and mildew which can make us cough and feel suffocated. Keeping things dry, fixing leaks quickly, and using fans and dehumidifiers in bathrooms and kitchens can help.
- Smelly Chemicals in Stuff: Some things we use at home, like paint and cleaning stuff, can emit invisible junk called VOCs, which can cause headaches and other problems in humans. When buying these things, try to find the products that say “low VOC” or “no VOC.”
- No Smoking Inside: Smoking inside the house or office can get the air icky with stuff that hurts our lungs. It’s better if people only smoke outside.
- Tricky Carbon Monoxide: Ever heard of a gas that we can’t see or smell but can be super dangerous? That’s carbon monoxide (CO). It can come from stoves and other objects that burn fuel. To stay safe, we can put detectors in our homes. They beep if there’s too much CO. Also, make sure things like stoves have good air around them.
- Let Fresh Air In: Air needs to move around in our homes and offices so that bad stuff doesn’t stick for long. Use fans in bathrooms and kitchens, and open windows when you can. Fresh air is like magic for keeping things nice indoors!
In the end, having clean air at home and office is super important, especially in Charleston’s warm and humid weather. By dealing with the things that make our air not-so-great, we can make sure our indoors are cozy and healthy places to be. So, whether it’s giving things a good clean, using less smelly stuff, or just opening a window, we can help our indoor air be its best for us and our loved ones! If you’re looking to enhance your indoor air quality for a more comfortable breathing experience, our team at LC Myers Environmental is ready to assist you.